Vay Fern is an illustrator, with over 30 published children’s books.
With a background in computer science, she diversified into digital art, culminating in more vivid and expressive illustrations. She derives inspiration from observing her nephews and nieces and develops her illustrations from their perspective.
Apart from illustrating, she teaches art to 5 – 8 years old, at her husband’s martial art studio at Dataran Ara Damansara.
Awards and Mentions:
- Winner Gourmand World Cookbook Award Series Category 2016 – Hayley’s Happylicious Series by Mohana Gill
- Winner Gourmand World Cookbook Award Chocolate Category 2016 – Hayley’s Madness for Chocolate by Mohana Gill
- Winner Gourmand World Cookbook Award Fruits Category 2016 – Hayley’s Fantastic Fruits by Mohana Gill
- Crystal Kite Award 2014, shortlisted as a finalist – The Seven-legged Spider by Lee Poh Peng
- Malaysia’s Winner Gourmand World Cookbook Award 2010 for Best Vegetarian Cuisine Book – Hayley’s Vegemania Garden by Mohana Gill
- Malaysia’s Winner Gourmand World Cookbook Award 2010 for Best Health and Nutrition Book – Hayley’s Fruitastic Garden by Mohana Gill
- Hayley Series selected by Majlis Buku Kebangsaan Malaysia (MBKM) for submission to the Bologna Ragazzi Award.
- Books listed for 50 Best Malaysian Titles 2011
- Books listed for Best Malaysian Books for International Rights 2012
Exhibitions and Appearances:
- Designer’s Weekend 2012
- SEAMEO-SPAFA Art of Illustration for Education Forum 2012
- WORLD BOOK DAY @ HELP International School 2014
- Private International Book Fair 2015
- Sharing Interactive Session for Writers and Illustrators 2016
- Kuala Lumpur Trade and Copyright Centre 2018
- Art and Eat @ Bonfire Restaurant 2018
If you would like to schedule an event with me, please get in touch with me. Would be helpful if you can let me know who you are, the organization or event at which you wish to have me speak, and the date and time of the event. Thank you!